All about KVPY 2015
What is KVPY ?
1)The “Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana” (KVPY) is a program started in 1999 by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India to encourage students who are studying Basic Sciences to take up research career in Science. The aim of the program is to identify and encourage talented and motivated students to pursue career in research.
2) This program aims to assist the students to realize their potential and to ensure that the best scientific talent is groomed for research and development in the country. Generous fellowship and contingency grant are provided to the selected KVPY Fellows up to the pre Ph.D. level or 5 years whichever is earlier.
3) The Department of Science and Technology, the nodal agency of the Government has entrusted the overall responsibility for organizing and running the KVPY Program to the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and set up a Management Committee and a National Advisory Committee (NAC) for overseeing its implementation.
When is the advertisement usually come for KVPY ?
The advertisement for the KVPY Fellowship appears in all the national dailies normally on the Technology Day (May 11) and the Second Sunday of July every year.
What is the Eligibility Criteria ?
1) Students enrolled in an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences, that is, B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Ecology, Molecular Biology, Botany, Zoology, Physiology, Biotechnology, Neurosciences, Bioinformatics, Marine Biology, Geology, Human Biology, Genetics, Biomedical Sciences, Applied Physics, Geophysics, Materials Science or Environmental Science.
2) Stream SA: Students enrolled in XI Standard (Science Subjects) during the academic year 2015-16 and having secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects in the X Standard Board examination. The fellowship of the students selected under this stream will be activated only if they join an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences (B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S.) in the academic year 2017-18 after having secured a minimum of 60% (50%for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in Science subjects in the XII standard/(+2) Board Examination. During the interim period of one year they will be invited for Regional /National (Vijyoshi) Science Camp and their travel and other related expenses will be met by KVPY.
3) Stream SX: Students enrolled in XII Standard/ (+2) (Science subjects) during the academic year 2015–16 and aspiring to join undergraduate program in Basic Sciences namely Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics & Biology leading to B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. for the session 2016–17 provided they have secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the X Standard Board Examination and a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the XII standard Board Examination.
4) Stream SB: Students enrolled in the 1st year of undergraduate program in Basic Sciences namely Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics & Biology leading to B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. during the academic year 2015–16 and having secured a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Mathematics) in the XII Standard Board Examination. In the 1st year final examination of B.Sc./B.S./B.Math./B.Stat./Int. M.Sc./M.S. they must secure 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks before taking up the fellowship, if awarded.
KVPY SA exam is conducted for Class XI students,
KVPY SX exam is conducted for Class XII students, and
KVPY SB exam is conducted for first-year students of B.Sc., B.S., Integrated 5-year M.Sc, or Integrated 5-year M.S. programmes.
What is the selection criteria ?
Selection of the students is made from those studying in XI standard to 1st year of any undergraduate Program in Basic Sciences namely B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology having aptitude for scientific research. Special groups / Committees are set up at IISc to screen the applications and conduct an aptitude test at various centres in the country. Based on the performance in the aptitude test, short-listed students are called for an interview which is the final stage of the selection procedure. For receiving a fellowship, both aptitude test and interview marks are considered.
What is the format for examination ?
KVPY SA exam will have single paper with objective-type multiple-choice questions (MCQs). Duration of the paper is 3 hours.
For SA examination
1) The question paper consists of two parts (both contain only multiple choice questions) for 100 marks. There will be four sections in Part I (each containing 15 questions) and four sections in Part II (each containing 10 questions).
2) Student has to attend 60 questions of 1 marks with 15 questions each in maths,biology,physics ,chemistry and 20 questions of 2 marks with 5 questions in maths,biology,physics ,chemistry
1. The question paper consists of two parts (both contain only multiple choice questions) for 100 marks. There will be four sections in Part I (each containing 20 questions) and four sections in Part II (each containing 10 questions).
2. Answer any THREE of the four sections in Part I, and any TWO of the four sections in Part II. In Part I each correct answer gets 1 mark and for each incorrect answer 0.25 mark will be deducted. In Part II each correct answer gets 2 marks and for each incorrect answer 0.5 mark will be deducted.
Important dates for KVYP 2015
1) Applications are already closed.
2)Download Admit Card : 10th October 2015
3)Exam Date: 1st November 2015
Examination are held in both and online mode
•An online version of the KVPY aptitude test 2015 will be held in the following cities:
Bangalore, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Dehradun, Delhi, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Jamshedpur, Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Vadodara, Varanasi, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam
•Hard copy version of the KVPY aptitude test 2015 will be held in the following cities:
Agarthala, Agra, Allahabad, Ambala, Aurangabad, Bhavnagar, Guwahati, Hubli, Jammu, Jodhpur, Madurai, Mangalore, Patna, Raipur, Salem, Siliguri, Trivandrum
What is the Syllabus ?
There is no prescribed syllabus for the written exam. The written exam aims to test the understanding and analytical ability of the student than his/her factual knowledge. However, students are tested for the syllabus up to class X/XII/1st year of B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. as applicable.
Last year KVYP paper can be downloaded from below links