What is KVPY 2016 ?
1)The “Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana” (KVPY) is a program started in 1999 by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India to encourage students who are studying Basic Sciences to take up research career in Science. The aim of the program is to identify and encourage talented and motivated students to pursue career in research.
2) This program aims to assist the students to realize their potential and to ensure that the best scientific talent is groomed for research and development in the country. Generous fellowship and contingency grant are provided to the selected KVPY Fellows up to the pre Ph.D. level or 5 years whichever is earlier.
3) The Department of Science and Technology, the nodal agency of the Government has entrusted the overall responsibility for organizing and running the KVPY Program to the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and set up a Management Committee and a National Advisory Committee (NAC) for overseeing its implementation.
When is the advertisement usually come for KVPY ?
The advertisement for the KVPY Fellowship appears in all the national dailies normally on the Technology Day (May 11) and the Second Sunday of July every year.
What is the Eligibility Criteria ?
1) Students enrolled in an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences, that is, B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Ecology, Molecular Biology, Botany, Zoology, Physiology, Biotechnology, Neurosciences, Bioinformatics, Marine Biology, Geology, Human Biology, Genetics, Biomedical Sciences, Applied Physics, Geophysics, Materials Science or Environmental Science.
2) Stream SA: Students enrolled in XI Standard (Science Subjects) during the academic year 2015-16 and having secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects in the X Standard Board examination. The fellowship of the students selected under this stream will be activated only if they join an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences (B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S.) in the academic year 2017-18 after having secured a minimum of 60% (50%for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in Science subjects in the XII standard/(+2) Board Examination. During the interim period of one year they will be invited for Regional /National (Vijyoshi) Science Camp and their travel and other related expenses will be met by KVPY.
3) Stream SX: Students enrolled in XII Standard/ (+2) (Science subjects) during the academic year 2015–16 and aspiring to join undergraduate program in Basic Sciences namely Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics & Biology leading to B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. for the session 2016–17 provided they have secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the X Standard Board Examination and a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the XII standard Board Examination.
4) Stream SB: Students enrolled in the 1st year of undergraduate program in Basic Sciences namely Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics & Biology leading to B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. during the academic year 2015–16 and having secured a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Mathematics) in the XII Standard Board Examination. In the 1st year final examination of B.Sc./B.S./B.Math./B.Stat./Int. M.Sc./M.S. they must secure 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks before taking up the fellowship, if awarded.
KVPY SA exam is conducted for Class XI students,
KVPY SX exam is conducted for Class XII students, and
KVPY SB exam is conducted for first-year students of B.Sc., B.S., Integrated 5-year M.Sc, or Integrated 5-year M.S. programmes.
What is the selection criteria ?
Selection of the students is made from those studying in XI standard to 1st year of any undergraduate Program in Basic Sciences namely B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology having aptitude for scientific research. Special groups / Committees are set up at IISc to screen the applications and conduct an aptitude test at various centres in the country. Based on the performance in the aptitude test, short-listed students are called for an interview which is the final stage of the selection procedure. For receiving a fellowship, both aptitude test and interview marks are considered.
What is the format for examination ?
KVPY SA exam will have single paper with objective-type multiple-choice questions (MCQs). Duration of the paper is 3 hours.
For SA examination
1) The question paper consists of two parts (both contain only multiple choice questions) for 100 marks. There will be four sections in Part I (each containing 15 questions) and four sections in Part II (each containing 10 questions).
2) Student has to attend 60 questions of 1 marks with 15 questions each in maths,biology,physics ,chemistry and 20 questions of 2 marks with 5 questions in maths,biology,physics ,chemistry
1. The question paper consists of two parts (both contain only multiple choice questions) for 100 marks. There will be four sections in Part I (each containing 20 questions) and four sections in Part II (each containing 10 questions).
2. Answer any THREE of the four sections in Part I, and any TWO of the four sections in Part II. In Part I each correct answer gets 1 mark and for each incorrect answer 0.25 mark will be deducted. In Part II each correct answer gets 2 marks and for each incorrect answer 0.5 mark will be deducted.
Important dates for KVPY 2016
|Opening of online application portal||18th July 2016|
|Last date for closing of online application||30th August 2016|
|Exam Date||6th November 2016|
Examination will be held in online mode in KVPY 2016
It will held in following cities
Agarthala(Tripura), Agra(Uttar Pradesh), Ahamedabad(Gujarat), Allahabad(Uttar Pradesh), Ambala(Haryana), Aurangabad(Maharashtra), Bangalore(Karnataka), Belgaum(Karnataka), Bhopal(Madhya Pradesh), Bhubaneshwar(Orissa), Chandigarh(Chandigarh), Chennai(Tamil Nadu), Coimbatore(Tamil Nadu), Dehradun(Uttarakhand), Delhi(Delhi-NCR), Durgapur(West Bengal), Faridabad(Delhi-NCR), Ghaziabad(Delhi-NCR), Guwahati(Assam), Hubli(Karnataka), Hyderabad(Telangana), Indore(Madhya Pradesh), Jaipur(Rajasthan), Jalandhar(Punjab), Jammu(Jammu and Kashmir), Jamshedpur(Jharkhand), Jodhpur(Rajasthan), Kanpur(Uttar Pradesh), Kochi(Kerala), Kolkata(West Bengal), Kozhikode(Kerala), Kurnool(Andhra Pradesh), Lucknow(Uttar Pradesh), Madurai(Tamil Nadu), Mangalore(Karnataka), Mohali (Punjab), Mumbai(Maharashtra), Mysore(Karnataka), Nagpur(Maharashtra), Noida (Delhi-NCR), Patna(Bihar), Pune(Maharashtra), Raipur(Chhattisgarh), Rajkot(Gujarat), Ranchi(Jharkhand), Rourkela(Orissa), Salem(Tamil Nadu), Siliguri(West Bengal), Thrichur(Kerala), Trivandrum(Kerala), Vadodara(Gujarat), Varanasi(Uttar Pradesh), Vijayawada(Andhra Pradesh), Visakhapatnam(Andhra Pradesh)
What is the Syllabus ?
There is no prescribed syllabus for the written exam. The written exam aims to test the understanding and analytical ability of the student than his/her factual knowledge. However, students are tested for the syllabus up to class X/XII/1st year of B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. as applicable.
IMPORTANT STEPS TO BE FOLLOWED TO FILL THE ONLINE APPLICATION for KVPY 2016
Step 1 Candidates are first required to go to the KVPY website http://www.kvpy.iisc.ernet.in/ where you will find the following links
Online Application for KVPY 2016- Candidates can click on this Link to apply for the entrance exam by filling up the online application.
Step 2 Click on the link “Online Application for KVPY 2016”. You will be directed to the Login Page.
Step 3 If you are a first time user, you will have to first register by clicking on the link provided for registration
a) Complete your registration carefully filling your Name, Email id and Mobile number. No duplicate entries are allowed.
b) On successful registration, you will receive your User ID and Password on your registered Email and Mobile No.
Please note it may take up to 30 minutes for receiving your ID and password.
c) Once you fill above information you will not be able to edit or make changes.
Please Note: Subsequent to receiving your User ID and Password, you will not be able to edit your Name, Stream, Email and Mobile Number. In Case you need to change these fields then you will have repeat Step 1 to 3 and obtain a new User ID and Password.
Step 4 If you have received your User ID and Password, login from the candidate login Page using your Candidate ID and Password.
Step 5 Fill personal and academic details, choosing test centre and uploading photo, signature and other certificates as applicable
Step 6 After filling in all your mandatory details, click on “Preview Application” to view your filled application and verify the details entered by you.
This is also one last chance for you to edit the information in your application except you will not be able to edit your Name, Stream, Email and Mobile Number.
Click on the “Submit” button to complete your application and Re-login to do the online or challan payment.
Step 7 If you choose to pay the exam fees Online, you can pay your fees either through Internet Banking, Credit card or Debit card.
If you choose to pay the exam fees through Challan, you will have to take a print out of Challan and make a payment in any SBI Branch
Step 7 After completion of your payment through online click on the “Submit” button, to complete the payment process, you will get a massage on top of the Application Form as “Your Application is under Scrutiny”.
After completion of payment through offline process, upload the challan and fill in the details and click on the “Submit” button, to complete the payment process, You will get a massage on top of the Application Form as “Your Application is under Scrutiny”.
Step 8 The Scrutiny of your application will take atleast two working days from the time you successfully submitted your application. Candidates are advised to go to the login page again (atleast after TWO days) to check the status of their application. If you get a message on top of your application which says “Your application is successfully submitted” You may take a print out of your submitted application. Keep a copy of the submitted application for your reference and safe keep. You will need to carry this copy during interview.
Last year KVYP paper can be downloaded from below links
All the previous year question paper/Answer keys can be found on KVPY official site
Our Site hosts lot of study material on Science and Maths from Class 6 to Class 12 and Some BSC material also. It will be helpful in preparation for the KVPY examination. Here are the links
How to’s Article
Support Helpdesk Details for KVPY 2016
IF YOU REQUIRE ANY INFORMATION RELATED TO Application Form,
CALL ON 080 – 22932975/76, 080- 23601008 & 080 – 22933536
Email to [email protected]
THE PHONE NUMBERS ARE AVAILABLE BETWEEN 10:00 AM AND 05:00 PM.
* Saturday and Sunday are Holidays.