What is National Talent Search Examination (NTSE)?
It is a national-level scholarship program in the Indian Union to identify and recognize students with high intellect and academic talent. It is one of the most prestigious exams in India. Around 300,000 students (a largely self selective group of students) appear in this scholarship exam every year, and 1,000 scholarships are awarded, out of which 775 are not reserved.
The scheme is open to students of Indian nationality. Students studying in Class X are eligible to appear for the selection process. it is widely regarded by the Government of India as the most prestigious and the most difficult examination at secondary level in the country.
The Union Minister of Human Resource Development Smt. Smriti Irani announced that the number of scholarships under National Talent Search Scheme will be doubled to 2000 from existing 1000 while speaking on the occasion of 55th Foundation Day celebration of the NCERT in New Delhi on 1st September 2015
History Of examination
1) This scheme was started in 1963 and initially 350 students were given the scholarship based on science test, project and face to face interview
2) The system kept changing with time . As the education system goes through the changes ,several modification were introduced. With 10+2+3 introduction, Other subjects like social science ,medicine was introduced. Examination pattern got changed and seat were raised to 500.This happened in 1976. The test was allowed for Class X,XI,XII
3) The number of scholarship was increased from 500 to 550. 50 were reserved for SC and ST
4)In 1985,it undergone further changes and the test was divided into two stage.Ist stage would be conducted by state and stage 2 will be conducted by NCERT.The test was allowed for Class X only. State were given full autonomy for Stage I but they have to follow the standard format for MAT and SAT
5) A crucial modification in the scheme was again made in the year 1995 when the provision of choice in the SAT was abolished and all the subjects were made compulsory. These subjects were Science, Social Science and Mathematics with 40, 40 and 20 questions respectively.
The scholarships under the present scheme are awarded to the candidates for pursuing courses in sciences and social sciences up to doctoral level and in professional courses like medicine and engineering up to second-degree level subject to the fulfillment of the conditions provided. Also, an important decision was taken in the year 2008, when NTSE is open only to the students of class VIII as against class X . In 2012, NTSE was reopened for class X students.
NTSE examination are held in two stages. The test is based mental ability ,language scholastic aptitude tets
1) State Level which is conducted by the respective states
The students which passed the state level are allowed to take the examination in second stage. Around 4000 students are selected
2) National Level which is conducted by the NCERT
1000 students are selected and rewarded scholarship
All student of class X of recogized schools are eligible to participate in the examination in their respective state/UT
1) 15% is reserved for ST
2) 7.5% is reserved for SC
3) 3% is reserved for Physical challenged
1) 40% is the qualifying mark in each paper for General catgeory
2) 35% is the qualifying marks for each paper for SC/ST/PC
3) Language paper is just qualifying in nature,the marks are not considered in deciding the final merit list
Examination Dates for NTSE 2015/2016
Examination in Mizoram,Meghalaya,Nagaland and Andaman and Nicobar Island 7 Nov 2015
Examination in all other states/UT 8 Nov 2015
Examination in all states/UT 8 May 2016
Notification for All states are already issued
Examination pattern for 2015/2016
The state/UT level will contain three parts
1) Mental ability test
2) Language test
3) Scholastic aptitude test (SAT) From Social Science. Basic Science & Mathematics
The generally does not have negative marking
Part I comprises of Mental Ability Test (MAT) consisting of 50 questions. Each question having 1 marks and Duration of test is 45min
Part II comprises of language test(english/hindi) consisting of 50 questions.Each question having 1 marks and Duration of test is 45min
Part III comprises of Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) consisting 100 questions (From Social Science. Basic Science & Mathematics). Each question having 1 marks and Duration of test is 90min
There will be negative parking .1 marks will be awarded for correct answer and 1/3 marks will be deducted for incorrect answer. No marks will be deducted for unattempted question
1) Scholarship of Rs 1250/month from Class 11 To class 12
2) Scholarshop of Rs 2000/month for Undergraduate and post graduate
3) Amount of scholarship for PHP will be fixed as per UGC norms
General FAQ about NTSE
1) What is this scheme
Answer This examination is aimed at identifying the talented students and awarding them scholarship to help in there further studies
2) How old is this scheme
Answer This scheme is as old as NCERT.It was started in 1963 as National science talent search scheme
3) How long succesful students will be getting the scholar ships?
Answer:The awardees studying in Humnties,Science,Social science, Language ,commerce, Vocational and fine arts will be getting the scholarship till PHD level.
Whereas the student doing professional courses like medical,enggineering,technology ,management and law get the scholarshop upto 2 nd degree level
4)When will the notification is issued for stage I
Answer: The advertisement will come up in the month July -August
5) Where can I get the application for stage 1?
Answer:You need to contact the liaison officer of the state/UT .The contact details is listed on NCERT site
6) How the application are submitted for stage 1?
Answer The application need to be duly signed by the principal and send to the address with the requested fees to the address listed in advertisement
7) Are the marks for stage 1 added to stage II
8) When is the resutl for stage 1 announced?
9) How many language option are present in stage 2 language test?
Answer Hindi and english
10) Are Language test marks included in final merit list marks in stage2
11) is there any provision of rechecking and retotalling ?