National Talent Search Examination (NTSE)?
It is a national-level scholarship program in the Indian Union to identify and recognize students with high intellect and academic talent. It is one of the most prestigious exams in India. Around 300,000 students (a largely self selective group of students) appear in this scholarship exam every year, and 1,000 scholarships are awarded, out of which 775 are not reserved.
The scheme is open to students of Indian nationality. Students studying in Class X are eligible to appear for the selection process. it is widely regarded by the Government of India as the most prestigious and the most difficult examination at secondary level in the country.
History Of examination
1) This scheme was started in 1963 and initially 350 students were given the scholarship based on science test, project and face to face interview
2) The system kept changing with time . As the education system goes through the changes ,several modification were introduced. With 10+2+3 introduction, Other subjects like social science ,medicine was introduced. Examination pattern got changed and seat were raised to 500.This happened in 1976. The test was allowed for Class X,XI,XII
3) The number of scholarship was increased from 500 to 550. 50 were reserved for SC and ST
4)In 1985,it undergone further changes and the test was divided into two stage.Ist stage would be conducted by state and stage 2 will be conducted by NCERT.The test was allowed for Class X only. State were given full autonomy for Stage I but they have to follow the standard format for MAT and SAT
5) A crucial modification in the scheme was again made in the year 1995 when the provision of choice in the SAT was abolished and all the subjects were made compulsory. These subjects were Science, Social Science and Mathematics with 40, 40 and 20 questions respectively.
The scholarships under the present scheme are awarded to the candidates for pursuing courses in sciences and social sciences up to doctoral level and in professional courses like medicine and engineering up to second-degree level subject to the fulfillment of the conditions provided. Also, an important decision was taken in the year 2008, when NTSE is open only to the students of class VIII as against class X . In 2012, NTSE was reopened for class X students.
NTSE examination are held in two stages. The test is based mental ability ,language scholastic aptitude tets
1) State Level which is conducted by the respective states
The students which passed the state level are allowed to take the examination in second stage. Around 4000 students are selected
2) National Level which is conducted by the NCERT
1000 students are selected and rewarded scholarship
All student of class X of recogized schools are eligible to participate in the examination in their respective state/UT
1) 15% is reserved for ST
2) 7.5% is reserved for SC
3) 3% is reserved for Physical challenged
1) 40% is the qualifying mark in each paper for General catgeory
2) 35% is the qualifying marks for each paper for SC/ST/PC
3) Language paper is just qualifying in nature,the marks are not considered in deciding the final merit list
Examination Dates for NTSE 2016-2017
|NTSE examination dates for Mizoram, Meghalaya, Nagaland and Andaman & nocabar island||5th November 2016(Saturday)|
|NTSE examination dates Bihar and West Bengal||13th November 2016(Sunday)|
|NTSE examination dates for All other states and Union||6th November(Sunday)|
|Examination in all states and Union territories||14th May 2017 (Sunday)|
Examination pattern for NTSE 2017
The Stage1 and Stage II level both will contain three parts
1) Mental ability test
2) Language test
3) Scholastic aptitude test (SAT) From Social Science. Basic Science & Mathematics
Pattern for both Stage I and stage II would be
Stage I generally does not have negative marking
Stage II will have negative parking .1 marks will be awarded for correct answer and 1/3 marks will be deducted for incorrect answer. No marks will be deducted for unattempted question
1) Scholarship of Rs 1250/month from Class 11 To class 12
2) Scholarshop of Rs 2000/month for Undergraduate and post graduate
3) Amount of scholarship for PHP will be fixed as per UGC norms
Application form NTSE 2017
Different states including UTs on behalf of NCERT has announced application forms of NTSE 2017 for the those aspirants who are interested in appearing in the scholarship exam. The deadline of submission of NTSE Application Form 2017 is declared by the respective State and it may vary from state to state.
The completed application form after signed by the Principal of the school will be submitted to the address specified by liaison officer of your State/UT.
Indian students studying abroad in class X can appear directly for Stage II NTS examination under conditions mentioned in the NTS brochure.
Application Form for Indian students studying abroad will be uploaded on the NCERT website in October, 2016.
NTSE 2016-17 Exam Fee: The exam fee for NTSE Stage-I exam will be notified by State/UT. For NTSE Stage-II examination, no fee is charged by NCERT.
Here are the details for each state and UT
|States||NTSE 2017 application form online form /download form link||End date|
|Andhra Pradesh:||http://nmms.bseap.org/Account/frmNTSELanding.aspx||14 Sep 2016|
|West Bengal||http://scholarships.wbsed.gov.in/ntse_instructions.php||7 Sep 2016|
|Telangana||http://bsetelangana.org/pdf/Application%20form_NTSE%20Nov.%202016.pdf||7 Sep 2016|
|New Delhi||http://www.edudel.nic.in/upload_2015_16/693_dt_23082016.pdf||9 sep 2016|
|Uttar Pradesh||http://www.examregulatoryauthorityup.in/td.pdf||24 sep 2016|
|Andhra Pradesh||http://nmms.bseap.org/Account/frmNTSELanding.aspx||14 sep 2016|
|Bihar||http://www.educationbihar.gov.in/NoticePdf/04Aug2016124951.pdf||25 sep 2016|
|Maharashtra||http://mscepune.in/NTS_NMMS/indexNTS.htm||30 sep 2016|
|Chandigarh||http://www.siechd.nic.in/stse_nmms/stse_form/Form%20STSE%202016.pdf||31 Aug 2016|
|Himachal Pradesh||http://admis.hp.nic.in/himachal/scert/pdf/NTSEAppForm_31Jul2016.pdf||31 Aug 2016|
|Jammu and Kashmir||http://www.jkbose.co.in/admin/uploads/jkbose12aug2016_5.pdf||20 sep 2016|
|Karnataka||http://www.dsert.kar.nic.in/applications/16-17/NTSE_Application_2016.pdf||8 sep 2016|
|20 sep 2016|
|Chhattisgarh||http://scert.cg.gov.in/pdf/exams/ntse-nmms-rimc-2016-17/NTSE-NMMSE%202016-17%20APPLYCATIONFORMADMICORD.pdf||31 Aug 2016|
|Madhya Pradesh||http://educationportal.mp.gov.in/Portal/Public/View_Circular.aspx?id=48646||15 sep 2016|
|31 Aug 2016|
|Harayana||http://www.scertharyanaonline.com/||26 sep 2016|
|Gujrat||http://www.sebexam.org/AdvertiseFiles/NTSE%20Notification-2016.pdf||20 Sep 2016|
|30 sep 2016|
|Meghalaya||http://megeducation.gov.in/dert/circular/2016/Advertisement%20NTS-NMMS%202016.pdf||30 Sep 2016|
|Daman & Diu||http://daman.nic.in/websites/directorate_of_education_daman/documents/2016/X-class.pdf||31 Aug 2016|
|Puducherry||http://schooledn.puducherry.gov.in/HTML/CircuTenders/circular2016/ntsappl.pdf||1 Sep 2016|
General FAQ about NTSE 2017
1) What is this scheme
Answer This examination is aimed at identifying the talented students and awarding them scholarship to help in there further studies
2) How old is this scheme
Answer This scheme is as old as NCERT.It was started in 1963 as National science talent search scheme
3) How long succesful students will be getting the scholar ships?
Answer:The awardees studying in Humnties,Science,Social science, Language ,commerce, Vocational and fine arts will be getting the scholarship till PHD level.
Whereas the student doing professional courses like medical,enggineering,technology ,management and law get the scholarshop upto 2 nd degree level
4)When will the notification is issued for stage I
Answer: The advertisement will come up in the month July -August
5) Where can I get the application for stage 1?
Answer:You need to contact the liaison officer of the state/UT .The contact details is listed on NCERT site
6) How the application are submitted for stage 1?
Answer The application need to be duly signed by the principal and send to the address with the requested fees to the address listed in advertisement
7) Are the marks for stage 1 added to stage II
8) When is the resutl for stage 1 announced?
9) How many language option are present in stage 2 language test?
Answer Hindi and english
10) Are Language test marks included in final merit list marks in stage2
11) is there any provision of rechecking and retotalling ?