What is Procrastination?
Procrastination is the practice of carrying out less urgent tasks in preference to more urgent ones, or doing more pleasurable things in place of less pleasurable ones, and thus putting off impending tasks to a later time, sometimes to the “last minute” before the deadline
First we need to understand when or why do we procrastinate actions?
There could be many reasons
1) We are in doubt
2) it is boring or unpleasant
3) You dont value the work
4)you are not good enough to handle the task
5) You have many task at hand and you dont want to take this less urgent task now
6) Unpleasurable things
Effect of Procrastination
1) It impact out sucess when we procrastinate important things
2) It enlarges the task at hand
3) It may result in stress, anxiety, a sense of guilt and crisis, health problems
4) Procrastination is habit forming. So you will try to procrastinate important things even
How to overcome it
1) First step is to identify that you are procrastinating the thing.And identify the reason for reason for not doing it
2) Make a commitment to yourself to complete the pending task
3) Identify the unpleasent consequences of not doing it. For example, if you start hearing a weird sound coming out of your car’s engine, understand that your car could soon break down, leaving you at the side of the road in the middle of the night. If you don’t like spending your night in middle of nowhere waiting for a tow truck, then pick up the phone and call the repair shop right now!
4) Reward yourself when you complete those pending task
5) Focus on the long tern benifits
6) Split the big task into smaller task.. it will be much easier to get started and actually accomplish it.