If you like the content please help us by sharing it socially with your friends.
Important electrostatic questions
Questions having one mark each:
1. Write the S.I unit of
i. electric field intensity
ii. Electric dipole moment.
iii electric Potential
2. How does the coulomb force between two point charges depend upon the dielectric constant of the intervening medium?
3. Draw an equipotential surface for a system, consisting of two charges Q, -Q separated by a distance ‘r’ apart.
4. Show graphically the variation of charge ‘q’ with time’t’ when a condenser is charged.
5. What orientation of an electric dipole in a uniform electric field would correspond to stable equilibrium?
6. The potential energy of an electric dipole placed in a uniform electric field is minimum . What is the orientation of vectors p and E ?
7. State one situation in where potential is not zero but electric field intensity is zero .
8. Does the electric potential increase or decrease along an electric line of force ?
9. A Gaussian surface encloses no charge . Does it mean that E = 0 on its surface ?
10. At what point is the electric dipole field intensity (i) parallel and (ii) antiparallel to dipole moment of the dipole ?
11. A 10µC charge is at the centre of a square of side 10 cm . Find the work done in moving the charge of 4 C between two diagonally opposite points on the square .
12. A charged air capacitor has stored energy U . What will be the energy stored when air is replaced by a dielectric of dielectic constant K , charge Q remains the same ?
13. The sequence of bands marked on carbon resistor are Red , Red , Red , Silver . Write the value of resistance with tolerance .
14. Define electric field intensity . Write its S.I. unit . Write the magnitude and direction of electric field intensity due to an electric dipole of length 2a at the mid point of the line joining the two charges.
15.. The force of attraction between two point charges placed at distance d apart in a medium is F. What should be the distance apart in the same medium so that the force of attraction between them becomes F/4 ?
16.Name the physical quantity whose SI unit is (i) coulomb/ volt (ii) newton/coulomb(iii) joule/coulomb.
17. What is the amount of work done in moving a 56 nC charge between two points 1 cm apart on an equipotential surface ?
18.What would be the work done if a point charge +q, is taken from a point A to the point B on the circumstance of a circle drawn with another point charge +q at the center ?
19.Two test charges are brought separately near a charge +Q.
Case 1: Test charge +q are brought to within a distance r from the charge +Q (i.e. to point A).
Case 2: Test charge +2q are brought to within a distance 2r from the charge +Q (i.e. to point B).
1. In which situation is the Electric Potential Energy of the system the greatest?
2. At which position is the Electric Potential the greatest
Questions having two mark each
1. Two point charges, q =8×10-8 C and Q= -2×10-8 C are separated by a distance of 10 cm in air.
a) Find at what distance from the Q, would the electric potential be zero.
b) What is the net electric field at the mid point between the charges
2). Two capacitors of capacitance 10µF and 12µF are connected in series with a battery. The voltage across the 12µF capacitor is 10V. Compute the total battery voltage..
3) Electric charge is distributed uniformly on the surface of a spherical shell. Explain the variation Of Electric potential and electric Field intensity
i. on the surface
ii. inside and
4)Derive an expression for the energy stored in a parallel plate capacitor C , charged to potential difference V .
5)Two equally charged identical metal spheres X and Y repel each other with a force of F N. Another identical uncharged sphere Z is touched to X and then placed at the mid point between X and Y. What is the net force on Z?
6)The total capacitance of two capacitors is 4?F when connected in series and 18 ?F
when connected in parallel. Find the capacitance of each capacitor ?
7)A parallel plate capacitor is charged to a certain potential difference. When a 3 mm thick slab is slipped between the capacitor plates then to maintain the same Potential difference between the plates, the plate separation has to be increased by 2.4 mm. Find the dielectric constant of the slab
Questions Having 5 marks each
1. Explain the principle on which Van-de-Graaff generator operates. Draw a labeled schematic sketch and write briefly its working.
2. An electric dipole is held in a uniform electric field.
i. Show that no translatory force acts on it.
ii. Derive an expression for the torque acting on it.
iii. The dipole is aligned parallel to the field. Calculate the work done in rotating it through 180 degree
3)A parallel plate capacitor is charged by a battery. After sometime the battery is disconnected and a dielectric slab with its thickness equal to the plate separation is inserted between the plates.
What is the impact on these quantities?
(i) The capacitance of the capacitor
(ii) Potential difference between the plates
(iii) The energy stored in the capacitor
4. Use Gauss theorem to derive an expression for the electric field at a point due to
a. an infinite plane sheet of charge of uniform charge density ?
b. a thin infinitely long straight line of charge of uniform charge density ?
5.There are two identical particles each of mass m and carrying charge Q. Initially one of them is at rest and another charge moves with velocity v directly towards the particle at rest. Find the distance of closest approach.