Revise During Preparation For Exams
‘Revise During Preparation For Exams’ is your effective guide for preparation of your examination. You might be good at studies and have ability to learn fast , even the subjects that are considered tough like physics , mathematics, computer science e.t.c., or you might be the one struggling to learn these subjects. This article is for all those who are preparing for one exam or the another. Now once you complete understanding your topic you were studying , you move to another one and then to another one. After a week or two of continuously studying or learning new topics each day you now try to solve problems related to topic you studied two or three weeks back. Some of us might be able to crack the problem but some of us failed to do so because they do not properly remember the key formula or concept.
At this point an important strategy comes in that you must follow while preparing for your exams. That is ” Revision while preparation”. If a student revise each concept he learned or study strategically then he would be able to remember the concept when he needed it the most. So now we know the importance of revision while preparing for any exam be it competitive exam or your board exam.
So main purpose of revision is to understand the topics that are in your exam syllabus , to have all the concepts learned and understood to memory. When you have revised your syllabus properly you would be able to practice planning and writing answers to questions.
how to revise properly
As we have emphasized again and again in our various articles that planning effectively is the key to success.Here we also would include advise on making revision plan. Planning effectively is the key to success. Here are some tips for planning effectively.
- Create a time table :- Start revising five to six weeks prior to your exams and one more thing you should always be realistic about your goals and set your time accordingly. Give yourself some break now and then.
- Have a balanced approach :- You can allocate different days for completing different topics so that you have enough time for topics you want to revise. Try to evenly balance your time between different subjects. One important point i would like to mention is that do not neglect an easy subject over difficult one and vice-verse.
- Identify Key topics :- For each subject identify the topics you must revise as there are certain topics which are important and questions are asked from these topics again and again over past years. So you can select topics based on the content of the subject , past years examination papers and your own interest and ability.
- Arrangement of your revision material :- All of us makes notes, take lecture notes in class , have photocopies of reference materials etc. So you must arrange them subject wise and topic wise so that you have everything you need in advance.
There are three main aspects which you can consider while revising. They are note making/note taking , memorizing and drafting answers for your questions. We will discuss each aspect one by one.
1. Note taking/Note making :- When you attend your class, attend a seminar or while you read books you note important points of the topics in your notebook.
- Now during revision time you can work on your notes towards making them memorable. You can physically organize your notes in a clear and logical order to find your way around.
- Now study your notes thoroughly and highlight important parts or keywords you need to check just before your examination day.
- You may consider developing concept maps or mind maps for the topics you need to look just before your exams.
- Remember when it comes to note making for exams remember less is more . Try to make your notes clutter free.
2. Memorizing :- To do well in your exams you need to memorize what you have learned and you have to remember the material at the time when you needed it the most. Here are some tips to help you memorize your notes better.
- study your notes three to four times so that they gets fixed in your mind .
- Try and predict about a particular page in your notes so that when you have a look at them you know what you were missing and give it your attention while you read.
- Again arrange or make notes in diagrammatic form as they are more visually stimulating and can be remembered more easily.
3. Drafting Model Answer :- Working on your model answers for various questions you might think are important for your exams can prove helpful during your revision process. This technique will help you remember your material simultaneously developing your skills and this way you are also practicing for your exams. You can even consider practice writing at speed under exam conditions.
4. Revision all year round :- Revising at the last minute is a poor studying habit. As one topic quickly succeeds another in each course you can easily forget the one you studied previously. So throughout the academic year you should focus on revising the topic you learned previously.
You can keep in touch wit us by filling a contact us form through “Contact Us” tab . please do left us a word.