On the basis of physical state, all the matter can be classified into three groups: Solids, Liquids and Gases.
Test Your Knowledge
Fill in the blanks
1) On the basis of physical properties, matter is classified as _____, _______ and _____
2) On the basis of chemical properties, matter is classified as _____, _______ and _____.
3) The particles which make up matter are ____ and ____.
4) The zigzag movement of the small particles suspended in a liquid (or gas) is called _______
5) The particles of matter have __________________ between them.
6) The particles of matter are constantly _____
7) The best demonstration that particles of matter are constantly moving comes from the experiments on __________________ and ______.
8) The __________________ of attraction between the particles of the same substance is known as cohesion.
9) The force of __________________ between the particles of chalk is quite weak, the force of __________________ between the particles of ice is a bit stronger whereas the force of __________________ between the particles of iron nail is very, very strong.
10)The force of attraction is maximum in the particles of __________________ and minimum in the particles of a _____
11) Solids have a fixed shape and fixed __________________ Liquids have fixed __________________ but they have no fixed shape .Gases have neither a fixed shape nor a fixed __________________
12) According to the kinetic theory of matter, the particles of matter are in continuous motion and possess _______.
13)The forces of __________________ tend to hold the particles together and control their movements.
14) The spaces between the particles are the __________________ in solids, a little more in liquids, and the maximum in gases.
15) The forces of __________________ between the particles are the strongest in solids, less strong in liquids and negligible in gases.
Check your answers