In this page we have Class 10 Science Acid base and Salts Long Questions( Five Marks questions) . Hope you like them and do not forget to like , social shar
and comment at the end of the page.
1) (a) List in tabular form two differences between an acid and a base based on their chemical properties.
(b) State the meaning of neutralization reaction. Give two examples to illustrate your answer.
2) A student dropped few pieces of marbles in dilute hydrochloric acid, contained in a test tube. The evolved gas was then passed through lime water. What change would be observed in lime water? What will happen if excess of gas is passed through lime water? Write balanced chemical equations for all the changes observed. 3) What is observed when carbon dioxide gas is passed through lime water.
(a) for a short duration?
(b) for long duration?
Also write the chemical equations for the reactions involved.
4) State reasons for the following statements:
(a) Tap water conducts electricity, whereas distilled water does not.
(b) Dry hydrogen chloride gas does not turn blue litmus red, whereas hydrochloric acid does.
(c) During summer season, a milkman usually adds a very small amount of baking soda to fresh milk.
(d) For dilution of an acid, acid is added into water and not water into acid.
(e) Ammonia is a base but does not contain a hydroxyl group.
5) (a) In a tabular form write the colours of the following indicators in presence of acid and base:
Litmus solution, phenolphthalein solution, methyl orange solution
(b) Classify the following given solutiuon A and B in acidic and basic, giving reason.
SOLUTION A: [H+] < [OH-]
SOLUTION B: [H+] > [OH-]
6) (a) A metal compound ‘X’ reacts with dil. H2SO4 to produce effervescence. The gas evolved extinguishes a burning candle. If one of the compound formed is calcium sulphate then what is ‘X’ and the gas evolved? Also, write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction which occurred.
(b) (i) Name one antacid. How does it help to relieve indigestion in stomach?
(ii) A farmer treats the soil with quick lime or calcium carbonate. What is the nature of soil? Why does the farmer treat the soil with quick lime?
7) State what happens when sodium hydroxide solution reacts with dilute hydrochloric acid. What is this reaction called?
8) Write the chemical name and formula of common salt. List two main sources of common salt in nature. Write any three uses of common salt. How is it connected to our struggle for freedom?
9) An aqueous solution of sodium chloride is neutral but an aqueous solution of sodium is basic.
10) What is chlor – alkali process? Write the chemical reaction taking place in the form of a balanced chemical equation. Name the gases liberated at the cathode and at the anode respectively.
11) Write chemical names and formulae of Plaster of Paris and gypsum.
12) (a) What is baking soda? How is it known chemically?
(b) What is the nature of this salt?
(c) Write one application of it.
13) How do metal carbonates and metal hydrogen carbonates react with acids?
14)A metal carbonate X on reacting with an acid gives a gas which when passed through a solution Y gives the carbonate back. On the other hand, a gas G that is obtained at anode during electrolysis of brine is passed on dry Y, it gives a compound Z, used for disinfecting drinking water. Identify X, Y, G and Z.