The functions of an organism as a whole is the result of the activities and interaction of the constituent cells.
Water molecule will pass across the plasma membrane in both directions, but more water molecules will enter the cell than will leave. The cell will therefore, swell up and increase in volume. This process is called
In this case too, water crosses the plasma membrane in both the directions, but this time more water leaves the cell than enter it. The cell will therefore, shrink and reduce in volume. This process is known as
Protoplasm = cytoplasm + nucleoplasm
Test your Knowlegde
Fill in the blanks
1) The cell is a fundamental, structural and functional __________________ of living organisms and basic __________________ of life.
2) All __________________ are made up of cells.
3) Cells make tissues, tissues together make organ, organs make organ __________________ and organ __________________s make body of organisms.
4) Cell is called structural unit of __________________.
5) All the basic functions of the body like respiration, excretion are carried out by __________________ through its __________________ organelles, so __________________ is called functional unit of life.
6) Cell was first discovered by _____ in _____.
7) Two biologists ______ and _______presented the cell theory which says that all the plants and animals are composed of cells and that the cell is basic unit of life
8) All cells are basically alike in chemical __________________ and metabolic processes.
9) Some cells like __________________ and WBCs have changing shapes.
10) The smallest cell in human body is __________________ and the longest one is the ______
11) The prokaryotes include archaebacteria, bacteria and cyanobacteria (blue green __________________).
12) __________________ membrane is living, thin, delicate, elastic, selectively permeable membrane and is flexible and made up of organic molecules called lipids and proteins.
13) Substances can pass across a membrane by two processes- __________________ and _____
14) __________________ is the spontaneous movement of molecules from a region of its higher concentration to a region of its lower concentration.
15) The movement of water molecules through a selectively permeable membrane from a region of higher water concentration to a region of lower water concentration is called __________________.
16) If the medium surrounding the cell has a higher water concentration than the cell, then the cell will gain water by osmosis. Such a dilute solution is called ____________
17) The swelling up and increase of volume of cell as a result of water movement inside the cell is known as ____________
18) if medium surrounding the cell is exactly the same water concentration as the cell, there will be no net movement of water across the plasma membrane resulting in no change in the size of the cell. Such a solution is called ______
19) If the medium surrounding the cell has a lower concentration of water than the cell, then cell will lose water by osmosis. Such a concentrated solution is called _________________
20) The shrinking and reduce in volume of cell as a result of water movement outside is known as__________
21)__________________ is a kind of carbohydrate (polysaccharide) and provides structural strength to the plant.
22) _____________protects cell membrane and the internal structures of the cell
23)All cells contain living substance called __________________ which is jelly-like, viscous, colourless semi-fluid substance in which various cell organelles and inclusion remains in colloidal form.
24)________ is part of protoplasm which surrounds the nucleus.
25) ______ is part of protoplasm which is located inside the nucleus.
26) Chemically cytoplasm contains about 90% _____, 7% _____, 2% _________ and lipids and 1% inorganic minerals, minerals vitamins
Check your answers