Thermal Properties of Matter
- Calorimetery means measurement of Heat.
- Calorimeter is the device used to measure heat and it is cylinderical vessel made of copper and provided by a stirrer and a lid.
- This vessel is kept in a wooden block to isolate it thermally from suroundings.A theromometer is used to measure the temperature of the content in the calorimeter.
- When bodies at diffrent temperature are mixed in a calorimeter,they exchange heat with each other.
- Bodies at higher temperature loose heat while bodies at low temperature gain heat.Contents of the calorimeter is continously stirred to keep temperature of contents uniform
- Thus principle of calorimetery states that the total heat given by hot objects is equal to the total heat received by cold objects.
10. Latent Heat:
- There are three phases of matter i.e, Solid, Liquid and Gas.
- Substance for example, H2O exists in solid phase as Ice,in liquid phase as Water and in gas state as Steam.
- Transtion from one phase to another phase are accompained by absorption or liberation of heat and usually by change in volume even at constant T.
- Change of phase from solid to liquid is called melting , from liquid to solid is called fusion and from liquid to gas is called vaporisation
- Once the temperature for phase change is reached( e,g melting or boiling temperature) no further temperature change occurs until all the substance has undergone phase change.
Melting Point:-Temperature at which solid and liquid phase are in thermal equilibrium with each other
Boiling point:-Temperature at which liquid and vapour phase are in thermal equilibrium with each other
- Change of phase from solid state to Vapour state without passing through liquid state is called sublimation for e.g Dry Ice and Iodine sublimes.
- The amount of heat per unit mass that must be transfered as heat when a sample completely undergoes phase change is called latent Heat of the substance for the process.
- Thus when a sample of mass m completely undergoes phase change,the total energy transfered is
L- Latent heat and is characterstics of a substance
- Its unit is JKg-1.
- Latent Heat for a solid liquid change is called Latent Heat of Fusion Lf.
- Latent Heat for a liquid gas change is called Latent Heat of Vaporisation Lv.
Watch this tutorial for more information on Heat And Calorimetery
link to this page by copying the following text
Class 11 Maths
Class 11 Physics
Class 11 Chemistry