Center of mass Frame of Reference
(10) Centre of mass frame of refrance
- If we attach an inertial frame of refrance with the centre of mass of many particle system then centre of mass in that frame of refrance would be at rest or, Vcm=0 , and such type of refrance frames are known as centre of mass frame of refrance.
- Total linear momentum of a many particle system is zero in centre of mass frame of refrance i.e., pcm=MVcm=0 since Vcm=0.
- Therefore C-refrance frames are also known as zero momentum refrance frames.
- Since in absence of any external force the centre of mass of any system moves with constant velocity in inertial frame of refrance therefore for a many particle system C-rame of refrance is an inertial frame of refrence.
- Refrance frames connected to laboratory are known as L-frame of refrance or lebiratory frame of refrance.
link to this page by copying the following text
Class 11 Maths
Class 11 Physics
Class 11 Chemistry