In this page we have Important Questions for Class 10 Metals and Non Metals -1 . Hope you like them and do not forget to like , social shar
and comment at the end of the page.
One Marks Questions
- Give name for a molten metal that catches fire in chlorine gas and gives off white fumes?
- Which metals do not corrode easily?
- What are alloys?
- Give name for a metal that forms two types of oxides and rusts in moisture; write their formulae also
- Name two metals which can displace hydrogen from dilute HCI.
- Give name for a metal used in hot water systems
- Metals replace hydrogen from acid, whereas non-metals do not. Why?
- Are metals electronegative or electropositive?
- Give name for a metal used in long distance cables wires
- Give name for a metal added to gold to harden it
- Name the metal which occurs below copper in the reactivity series. Also name the metal that lies just above hydrogen in the reactivity series
- Name a metal used in structural engineering
- Name a metal used as fuse wire
- Name a brittle metal, which is used to galvanize iron
- Name a non-metal which is hard and has high melting point.
- Name a metal whose chloride and sulphate salts are both insoluble
- Name a metallic chloride that is soluble in hot water but insoluble in cold water.
- Arrange the following metals in the decreasing order of chemical reactivity; placing the most active first. Cu, Mg, Fe, Na, Ca, Zn.
Two Marks Questions
- A copper plate was dipped in AgNO3 solution. After certain time silver from the solution was deposited on the copper plate. State the reason why it happened. Give the chemical equation of the reaction involved.
- An element X on reacting with oxygen forms an oxide X2O. this oxide dissolves in water and turns blue litmus red.
- Why are the two non- metals, carbon and hydrogen are important chemical reference points with regard to the method of metal extraction and reactivity towards acids.
- What is the behavior of magnesium when I is heated and steam is passed over it? Represent the equation.
- Can carbon dioxide react with magnesium?
- A zinc rod was kept in a glass container having CuSO4 solution. On examining, it was found that the blue color of the solution had faded. After few days when the zinc rod was taken out of the solution, a number of small holes were noticed in it. State the reason and give equation of chemical reaction involved.
- What is metallurgy?
- How does the term “Ore” differ from “Mineral”? give an example.
- What is gangue and what is concentration?
Four Marks Questions
- What are the three major steps involved in extraction of a metal after its ore is mined?
- Carbonates and sulphide ores are usually converted into oxide ores, why?
- Name the types of reduction processes involved in metallurgy with an example for each.
- An ore gave SO2on heating with oxygen. How will you concentrate this ore?
- Write differences between metals and non-metals based on physical properties.
- Show the formation of Na2O and MgO by the transfer of electrons
- In metallurgy what do the terms gangue, flux, slag stand for? Give examples.
- (i) In metallurgy, what does the term ‘Roasting’ stand for?
(ii) Name the by- product formed during roasting and give one of its uses.
- How does roasting differ from calcinations? Give equations.
- Why are aluminum containers used to transport nitric acid?
- (i) Why is aluminum used to reduce metal oxides like Fe2O3?
(ii) What is “Thermite Welding”?
- How is iron ore reduced in the blast furnace?
- Why is Al obtained only by electrolytic reduction of Alumina (pure)?
- Name the two ores of zinc commonly used.
- Name two common alloys of zinc with their property and uses.
Five Marks Questions
Go Back to Class 10 Maths Home page
Go Back to Class 10 Science Home page
- In metallurgy, what do the term calcinations stand for? Give example?
- Name two metals that occur in a free state nature. What is the method of refining them?
- Draw a neat and well labelled diagram for electrolytic refining of copper
- Explain the formation of an ionic compound between a metal and a non- metal by transfer of electrons with Mg as the metal and chlorine as the non –metal to illustrate your answer. Give the reaction that occurs.
- Explain the chemical change that causes corrosion in iron.
- If an iron nail is left in a filled bottle of boiled water how long will it take to corrode?
- What is the one of the most important use of zinc?