In this page we have Class 10 Science Metals and Non Metals Practice Test Paper . Hope you like them and do not forget to like , social shar
and comment at the end of the page.
VERY SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS
1) Name two metals which do not react with oxygen
2) Name two metals which catch fire if kept in open air
3) Give the reaction if any when the following metals are treated wth copper sulphate solution;
4) Name the three metals which do not react with water at all
5) A meta ‘X’ displaces metal ‘Y’ from Y2
aqueous solution) Which metal is most reactive ‘X’ or ‘Y’?
6) Metal is found to be present in vitamin B-12) Name the metal
7) Which metal acts as anode during the electrolytic refining?
8) Explain why the surface of some metals acquires dull appearance when exposed to air for a long time?
9) Why are metals highly electropositive in nature?
10) Why does zinc liberate hydrogen gas when it reacts with dilute hydrochloric acid but copper does not?
11) All ores are minerals while all minerals are not ores, Elaborate)
12) Why is sulphide ore converted to its oxide before reduction?
13) Why is sodium kept immersed in kerosene oil?
14) Which gas is produced when dilute hydrochloric acid is added to a reactive metal? Write the chemical reaction when iron reacts with dilute H2SO4)
15) What are amphoteric oxides? Give examples of two amphoteric oxides)
16) State two ways to prevent the rusting of iron)
17) What are metalloids?
18) Define gangue?
19) What is an amalgam?
20) Which one of the following metals does not react with oxygen even at high temperatures?
21) Name two metals which are both ductile as well as malleable
22) Write the chemical equation for the reaction of hot aluminum with steam
23) A green layer is gradually formed on a copper plate left exposed to air for a week in a bathroom. What could this green substance be?
24) Name an alloy of copper used for making utensils
25) What is rust? Write its chemical formula
26) Name two metals which do not corrode
27) Which one of the metal in the following group are Au, Na, Cu, Ca? (a) most reactive (b) least reactive
28) Which chemical element is alloyed with copper to make bronze?
29) Which one is more reactive, Ag or Pt?
30) Which chemical process is used to extract a metal from its oxide?
31) What type of oxides are formed when non- metals combine with oxygen?
32) Carbonates and sulphide ores are usally converted into oxide ores, why?
33) In the electrolytic refining of a metal M, what would you take as the anode, the cathode and the electrolyte?
34) Write the chemical equation to represent the reaction taking place between potasium metal and cold water
35) How is corrosion of iron prevented by coating it with a layer of oil?
Short Answer Questions:-
1) Metals at the top of the activity series do not occur in the free state. Explain
2) An atom X has seven valence electrons and another atom Y has two valence electrons. Write the formula of the compound formed between X and Y. also predict the type of bond formed between them.
3) What happens when:
(i)Iron nail is placed in silver nitrate solution
(ii)Iron strip is dipped in zinc sulphate solution
4) Give reason for the following:
(i)Metals replace hydrogen from dilute acids whereas non-metals do not
(ii)Calcium can react withhydrogen while iron does’t
5) Differentiate between calcinations & roasting
6) Explain why, the galvanized iron article is protected against rusting even if the zinc layer is broken
7) What are constituents of bronze? Write its two main uses) Name the common constitutent of brass and bronze
8) Name an ore of zinc other than zinc oxide By what process can this ore be converted to zinc oxide
9) An iron knife kept dipped in a blue copper sulphate solution colour of solution changes to light green Why?
10) Write chemical equations for the reactions taking place when:
(i)Zinc sulphide is heated in air
(ii)Reduction of lead oxide by carbon
11) Write chemical equations for reactions taking place when
(i)Manganese dioxide I heated with aluminum powder
(ii)Steam is passed over hot iron
12) Define the term ‘alloy’. Write two advantages of making alloys
(a) Name the chief ore of iron Write its formula
(b) How is an iron ore concentrated? Describe it brief
14) Give reasos for each of the following:
(i)Germanium is called a metalloid
(ii)Gold is known as a precious metal
15) The atomic number of magnesium is 12 and chlorine is 17 Show the formation of magnesium chloride by the transfer of electrons
16) Write chemical equations to show the reactions taking place when:
(i)Zinc carbonate is calcined)
(ii)Carbon dioxide gas is bubbled into lime water for a long time
17) State three reasons for counting sulphur amongst the non- metals
18) Give reasons:
I) Ionic compounds have high melting point
II) Ionic compounds are hard crystalline solids
19) Explain the meaning of malleable and ductile
20) How does the term “Ore” differ from “Mineral”? Give an example
21) What are the three major steps involved in extraction of a metal after its ore is mined?
22) Name two metals which will displace hydrogen from dilute acids, and two metals which will not
23) What are amphoteric oxides? Give two examples of amphoteric oxides with balanced chemical reactions?
24) Show formation of NaCl by transfer of electrons) Give any two properties of ionic compounds
25) Aluminium occurs in combined state whereas gold is found in free state Why?
Long Answer Questions:-
1) In what forms are metal found in nature? with the help of examples explains how metal react with oxygen, water and dilute acids. Also write chemical equations for the reactions?
2) Give reasons for the following:
(i)Metals are regarded as electropositive elements
(ii)Hydrogen gas is not evolved when zinc metal react with reacts with dil HNO3
(iii)Articles made of Aluminum do not corrode even though aluminum is an active metal
3) Which of the following metals can displace hydrogen from hydrochloric acid solution? Write appropriate equations for any reactions that can occur
A1, Cu, Ag
Also write a short note on active metals which can displace hydrogen from water
4) Write electron dot structure for sodium, oxygen, magnesium and chlorine. Show the formation of sodium oxide and magnesium oxide by the transfer of electrons Name the ions present in these compounds?
5) Name the following:
(a) Metal that catches fire in open air and gives off white fumes
(b)A metal that forms two types of oxides and rusts in moisture; write their formulae also
(c)A metal used in stainless steel
6) Describe the steps associated with extraction of copper from its sulphide ore. How impure copper is purified by electrolytic refining.
7) Design an activity to show the conditions needed for iron nails to rust. Why do we apply paint on iron articles
Go Back to Class 10 Maths Home page
Go Back to Class 10 Science Home page