In this page we have Class 10 Science Metals and Non Metals Long questions ( 4 marks) . Hope you like them and do not forget to like , social shar
and comment at the end of the page.
1) Give reasons:
(i) Reactivity of A1 decreases if it is dipped in HNO3.
(ii) Carbon cannot reduce the oxides of Na or Mg.
(iii) NaCI is not a conductor of electricity in solid state whereas it does conduct electricity in aqueous solution as well as in molten state.
(iv) Metals like Na, K, Ca and Mg are never found in their free state in nature.
2) Metals replace hydrogen from dilute acids, whereas non – metals do not. Why?
3) What is meant by refining of metals? Describe the electrolytic refining of copper with a neat labeled diagram.
4) An ore on heating in air produces sulphur dioxide. Which process would you suggest for its concentration? Describe briefly any two steps involved in the conversion of this concentrated ore into related metal.
5) Why aluminum oxide is considered an amphoteric oxide?
6) State the property utilize in the following:
(a) Graphite in making electrodes.
(b) Electrical wires are coated with polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or a rubber like material.
(c) Metal alloys are used for making bells and strings of musical instruments.
7) Explain with the help of an activity that metals conduct electricity. Draw a diagram for the same.
8) Name a metal which has very low melting point and a non – metal which has very high melting point.
9) Write one example of each of the following:
(a) Most malleable metal and most ductile metal.
(b) The best conductor of heat and the poorest conductor of heat.
(c) A metal with highest melting point and a metal with lowest melting point.
10) (a) Which metal from the following can displace zinc from zinc sulphate solution?
Lead, copper, magnesium, silver
Write the equation of the chemical reaction involved.
(b) Arrange metals Ca, Al, Cu and Au in decreasing order of reactivity.
11) (a) A substance X, an oxide of a metal, is used extensively in the cement industry. This element is found in our bones also. On treatment with water it forms a solution which turns red litmus blue. Identify X and also write the chemical reaction involved.
(b) Choose a metal from the following metals which reacts only with hot water:
Sodium, magnesium, iron
Mention the products formed during the reaction.
12) Food cans are coated with tin rather than zinc.
Give suitable reason for the following
a)Shining surface of metals is tarnished after some time.
(b) Sodium and potassium are kept under kerosene oil.
(c) Generally no hydrogen gas is involved when metals react with dilute nitric acid
d) Some alkali metals can be cut with a knife.
13) How metals can be differentiated from non – metals on the basis of any three chemical properties?
14) (a) Support your answer with chemical equations in each case. What happen when magnesium ribbon is burnt in air? What is the state of the metal oxide in the product formed?
(b) An element A forms two oxides AO and AO2.The oxide AO is neutral whereas the oxide AO2 is acidic in nature. Would you call element A a metal or non – metal?
15) (a) What are the bases which are soluble in water called?
(b) Write any four uses of bases.
16) When a copper wire is left in silver nitrate solution, it is observed that the solution turns bluish green.
(a) Explain the observation.
(b) Write the balanced chemical equation to represent the change taking place.
17) What happens when a piece of:
(a) Aluminium metal is added to dilute hydrochloric acid.
(b) Zinc metal is added to copper sulphate solution.
(c) Silver metal is added to copper sulphate solution.
Also write balanced chemical equation, if the reactionoccurs.
18) Write balanced chemical equation for the reaction of:
(a) aluminium when heated in air. Write the name of product.
(b) iron with stem and name the products obtained.
(c) calcium with cold water. Why does calcium start floating in water?
19) Iron displaces copper from copper sulphate solution, zinc displaces iron from iron sulphate solution and copper displaces silver from silver nitrate solution. On the basis of these reactions arrange the four metals involved in order of their reactivity. Give balanced chemical equations in each case.
20) the atomic number of magnesium is 12 and of chlorine is 17. Show the formation of magnesium chloride by the transfer of electrons.
21) (a) Write the electron – dot structure for calcium and sulphur.
(b) Show the formation of CaS by the transfer of electrons.
(c) Name the ions present in this compound CaS.
(Atomic number of Ca = 20, S = 16)
22) Write balanced chemical equations for the following reactions:
(a) Calcium carbonate on reaction with hydrochloric acid gives calcium chloride, water and carbon dioxide.
(b) Nitrogen reacts with hydrogen under pressure to form ammonia.
(c) Carbon disulphide burns in air to give carbon dioxide and sulphur dioxide.
23) Write chemical equations for the following reactions:
(a) A piece of calcium metal is dropped in water.
(b) Steam is passed over red hot iron.
(c) Zinc sulphide is heated in air.
24) Define the terms:
(i) Mineral (ii) Ore, (iii) Gangue.
25) What is meant by concentration of an ore? Why is it necessary to concentrate an ore before processing? Name an ore of mercury and copper.
26) Differentiate between the following:
(a) Reaction of magnesium and calcium with water.
(b) Roasting and calcinations processes giving an example of each.
(c) Nature of metal and non – metal oxides with an example.
27) How can sodium be obtained from sodium chloride?
28) (i) Define the term ‘anode mud’. Name the electrode made of pure metal.
(ii) Give the reactions taking place at cathode and at anode during the electrolytic refining of copper.
29) (a) Ores of both zinc and mercury are sulphide ores. Explain the methods used to extract these metals from their ores.
(b) Can we store concentrated solution of sodium hydroxide in a zinc container? Explain.
30) If a strip of aluminium with clean surface is dipped into an aqueous solution of copper sulphate for some time, the surface of the strip becomes brown. State the reason for this. Write balanced chemical equation for the reaction.
31) Which metal is more reactive between copper and iron? How can you prove it?
32) Distinguish between the following:
(a) Electrolytic reduction and electrolytic refining.
(b) Mineral and ore.
(c) Alloys and amalgams.
33) Name two metals which do not corrode easily. Give an example in each of the following case to support that:
(a) Corrosion of some metals is an advantage.
(b) Corrosion of a metal is a serious problem.